Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Christmas Light

Christmas is supposed to be a season of gladness and joy, but it can be marked by fear, depression, and loneliness. The Spirit of Christmas may get lost in the Santa suits and tinsel. When the wrapping paper is in the trash, and the credit card bills are in the mail, we sometimes feel more tired and stressed then ever. The lights of Christmas are frequently followed by greater darkness.
Tonight, we grieve with the families of the climbers who were lost on Mt Hood, and those of the thousands of soldiers and civilians who have died in Afghanistan and Iraq. As we celebrate Christmas, much of Africa is starving and naked. Yes, darkness settles deeply over some parts of our world, and it’s cold fingers touch us through death or illness of friends or family, or through the invidious doubts and fears John Bunyan called “the giant Despair”

My mother loves hunting for good out of print books. One of her greatest finds was “Just David”. David’s mother died when he was four, and his father, a world famous violinist, took David to an isolated mountain hut. Over the next six years, far from the corrupting influences of wealth and power, David became a brilliant violinist. Father and son lived in peaceful secrecy to avoid the public eye. In fact, David never learned his father’s name. Then David’s father became deathly ill. He tried to take David back to civilization and the musical world they had left, but died in a remote village. Before he passed on, he gave David a large amount of money and wrote a note to David’s relations, and signed his name. The villagers were familiar with the name, but failed to associate it with the sick man’s illegible signature. An indebted farmer took pity on David and gave him bed and board in exchange for David’s daily labor. Months passed. Weeding and stacking wood left little time for the violin, and the villagers mocked David’s music. David dreamed of escaping the village and using his father’ money to start a musical career. Then the mortgage on the farm came due. Not knowing the value of money, David used all his father’s money to redeem the farm. As winter approached, David seemed doomed to spend his life cutting wood . One day, David happened upon an old sundial. Its face contained this inscription: “I count no hours but unclouded ones”. David stopped counting clouded hours and started living for light.
Focusing on sunny times and sunny people brings us light and happiness. I remember watching Petra during orchestra rehearsals. At first, it was just an occasional sidelong glance. By the semester’s end I was having trouble reading my music. Two years ago last Thursday, Petra agreed to accompany me to a concert at the Kennedy center. I spent most of that Christmas break weaving her a basket and making plans. February 14 found me waiting for her to go to Greek class, sneaking into her dorm room, and writing my name in glow-in-the-dark stars above her bed. Several canoe trips, dozens of fruit smoothies, and a series of duct tape notes later, she agreed to be my girlfriend. Last summer, sometime between June 3 and 4, I asked her to marry me. She said yes. It was the happiest moment of my life.
Christmas should be the happiest time of year, but sometimes it’s so full of junk that we don’t have time to look for light. What does Santa have to do with baby Jesus? What does black Friday have to do with the stable? Why do we limit our gifts to those who reply in kind? God gave His Son to us, knowing that we could never repay or understand the sacrifice. Shouldn’t we spend part of this Christmas feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, caring for homeless, and visiting those in prison?
David didn’t keep the sundials wisdom to himself. He couldn’t. His newfound joy infected the village, and shadows of wealth and pride gave way to the light of kindness and love.
This hasn’t been an easy year. My grandfather was nearly crippled by a bungled back surgery, my grandmother died in September, and law school has eaten my best time, energy, and most of my hair. I’m sure that each one of you has suffered as well. Looking to the light can be difficult. Sometimes everything seems dark.
We often lack the time to meet our needs, never mind reaching those of others.
David’s hours were mostly cloudy, and he had plenty of sorrows without bothering about those of the people around him. But he chose to live for light, and carried its joy to the rest of the village.
It is my hope and prayer that during this Christmas season, we, like the Wise Men of old, will look for light, look to the Christ child, the source of all light and warmth, and reflect His love and care to those less fortunate then we.

12 comments:

Joel said...

Merry Christmas Paul. This post more than makes up for your extended absence! I love that succinct phrase on the sundial. Yes, we live on a sinful, polluted little planet, but this does not require us to focus on all the darkness. I'm reminded of a lovely quote, "Let the thorns alone, for they will only wound you. Gather the roses, the lilies, and the pinks." Thanks for your eloquent call to celebrate Christmas as Christians, not just consumers.

BTW, if I haven't said so before, congratulations on finding and charming (or having the good sense to be caught by) such a lovely girl!

Christy Joy said...

Thank you for your post. It is so easy to get trapped in Satan's darkness and this was a great reminder to look for the light.

I would very much like to read that book sometime. It sounds like a really good read. :)

Jan Robert (Robby) Heiberg said...

Merry Christmas Paul! It's very true what you write in this post. We need to look for light, to focus on light and to be a light - and reflect The Light. God has been good this year, as always, and we need to remember to show the goodness to other people. People like you say, who doesn't have such a good time. Christmas is also for many such a sad happening. Christmas is a REAL family time, and for those who have lost parts of their family, it's going do be hard and very different.

An interesting thing which my mum and I have been talking about as well. Christmas is also a real time to witness. In basically all secular stores you go into, they now play christmas music, which of course is much about Jesus being born. This is the time to give people a hope - we need to tell people why Jesus was born, and how this creates a hope for us falling beings.
This hope can bring light into all the people who are having much darkness in their lives.

We are christians, and we therefore need to live out the meaning of the word: Being Christ-like. That should be our rolemodel in life!
Much can be said about this, but I'll stop here.
See you in a week Paul - I'm looking forward to that!

Paul said...

Joel:

Thanks for the Christmas greetings. I'm trying to count only the sunny hours. Petra arrives today, so it should get easier...

Christy:
You should read "Just David". It was written by Eleanor Porter, the author of "Pollyanna". I like "Just David" better.

Robby:

Sounds like you've got the makings of a fine post of your own! I'll see you at GYC

Kristin said...

Thanks Paul. This was an excellent post and made the wheels in my head start turning.
Christmas time should be, like you said, a season to especially look to the light of Christ and share it with others. But your summary of "Just David" and his sundial's wisdom has reminded me that living for the light isn't a seasonal thing. It's a daily choice.

Paul said...

Amen! Christmas isn't about the date. It should be a ever present state of mind--just ask Petra, she listens to Christmas music on the 4th of July!

Christy Joy said...

Yay for Christmas music on the 4th of July! And yay for flip flops in the dead of winter! heehee, you'll never get me to stop wearing my Reefs. NEVER!

ok, sorry for the small rampage there. Merry Christmas guys!

did I hear someone mention GYC?? yay for GYC! I'm going this year and it's my first one! wahooo! I didn't think we were going to go and then suddenly my family decided that we were going to go so I'm excited. Maybe I'll see you guys there :)

Paul said...

GYC is mighty cool. I go to law school with its first president. She'd kill me if I failed to make an appearance.
Christmas music on the 4th is fine, but when heard 24/7/52 it gets a little stale. I'm willing to concede that its mostly lovely stuff. Petra has many days worth of CDs-mostly Christmas ones. I guess I'm going to have to deal with it:-)

Jonas said...

Paul,
Your eloquence is reminiscent of Dad's traditional christmas talk. Great to chat with you and hear the news.

Petraglyph said...

Paul, this is a very nice post. Your flattering inclusion of me in your holiday ramble was a genuine and heart-warming gesture. However, I'm not positive that it fits with the rest of the essay. I fail to see what it has to do with Christmas lights. However, who cares? Does everything have to flow smoothly all the time? No! So, just do you what you want. After all, it's Christmas. You ought to let your legal mind rest occasionally.
One last thing: For some reason, I don't remember those "dozens of fruit smoothies"....

Paul said...

hmm...
My organization isn't perfect, but I don't think that personal romance is ever irrelevant.
Maybe I didn't get you dozens of smoothies. I just remember being broke. I guess that means I owe them to you now:-)

Paul said...

John:
thanks for the vote of confidence. I don't think I'm on par with Dad's usual product. as Petra pointed out, it's all a bit scrambled. I hope that God used it to bless the folks at our program...