Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Rice and Light


Greens are good for the body. I'm too poor to purchase them regularly, so I've taken to sprouting cast off rice. My first attempts involved sticking the rice in a dark cupboard. It didn't do very well. At Dad's advice, I tried putting it on the window sill. It perked up nicely, and I've been feeding on it ever since.
Christ is the Light of the world. We can't do anything apart from the power He provided through His death. Focusing on Christ's sacrifice at Calvary will give us the perspective to make the sacrifices that He asks of us. It wouldn't do to take up the wrong cross.
Sadly, we rarely consider the Cross. The Beatitudes are a more frequent sermon topic than Golgotha, and when Christ's last hours are mentioned, we often spend more time considering Peter's sin than the Cross. Christ gave us communion so we'd remember His death, but we only celebrate it once in 13 weeks. What's so special about 13? It seems foolish (not to mention unlucky) to relegate communion to the sidelines. When we do go through with it, we don't share the cup, pair off instead of washing everyones feet, and keep on all our fancy duds instead of donning simple towels.
Our public failings are often a reflection of personal emptiness. EGW says that the cross should be the focal point of our devotions, but we usually read a few parables, a Psalm, or the prayer of Jabaz and leave the Cross for Easter weekend.
Like my rice, we're supposed to die, but we can't expect our sacrifice to produce anything unless we are looking to the Light of Christ's sacrifice. Let's get out of the cupboard and start growing.

23 comments:

Christy Joy said...

what's the spiritual equivalent of a window sill?

Chopsticks on Oboe said...

Plaudits Paul for that thought provoking message. It really makes you think. Many times people get stuck on this and that, but the most important part of the whole Great Controversy is left out of the picture. We really should get back to reading and studying about Jesus' wonderful love for us to die on Calvary.

Paul said...

Christy:
Matt: 26-28 is a good place to start...

Tee:
Thanks for visiting my blog. you are correct, we ought to focus on the important stuff.

Petraglyph said...

Christ's death concerns our eternal future. His death concerns the universe's impression of God. His death is love culminated. What could be more weighty than that? Ellen White tells us that we should spend time each and every day contemplating Christ's sacrifice on the cross and what it means to us. We should be acquainted with His last moments better than with any other story the Bible shares.

Paul said...

Yep, I agree.

barry said...

As everyone has already pointed out, the cross should be our focus. The devil knows this, and has created fiendishly ingenious substitutes for the true cross. It is even possible to say "the cross is all that matters" and mean something totally differnt that what Paul is talking about.

I'm taking Music in the Christian church from Dr. Bruce Ashton. He pointed out a sobering fact:
Reformers were martyred for one thing only--their refusal to go to Mass. The Mass is about Christ's sacrifice.

Would you be willing to burn at the stake for your interpretaion of Christ's propitiation?

Paul said...

we have crosses to take up too. We should focus on what Jesus death has done for us, not the blood and gore.

barry said...

Quite right. Worshiping the blood and gore as if they were still recieving our sins is wrong.

Paul said...

hey, that might be the one problem I had with Mel Gibson's "Passion"

The View from Great Island said...

Why is it that staying in the cupboard (seeking security, personal success, independence) seems so attractive? May God open our eyes to the poverty of that experience and the wealth of opening our hearts to the freedom of complete dependence on God. I know He must long to help us grow like sprouts in a sunny place!

Paul said...

Amen. Thanks Mom, I always enjoy your thoughts:-)

The View from Great Island said...

Perhaps we are encouraged to consider the last scenes of Christ's life frequently to remove the scales from our eyes, and point us towards the true Light. No matter what darkness we are surrounded with, Christ's sacrifice powerfully reminds us of God's amazing love for us and calls us to die to self so that we can live for Him. I love Petra's last blog post on looking up! Whatever our circumstances looking to Jesus will bring us out into the sunshine :).

Paul said...

I hadn't connected the cross with sunshine, but you have a good point. looking to Christ's death will lead to our own spiritual death, which, in turn, will lead us into light and growth.

I love my super positive Mom...

Chopsticks on Oboe said...

Happy Birthday Paul!
Hope you have a great day!

Jonathan Gerrans said...

Happy Birthday! (almost forgot! but didn't thanks to Chopstick's comment)

Paul said...

Thank you both

Amberley said...

You must be 24 today. I love that you are 24 and writing like you're 42. I guess that means you're ready to get married after all...

Paul said...

you are correct, at least as far as the actual age goes.
actually, I tend to think my writing is rather idealistic, and gives away my clueless youthful state. Maybe by the time I'm 42 I'll have gained a bit more common sense:-)

Christy Joy said...

oh oh oh! Allow me to wish you a happy birthday as well! I know i'm a bit late and everything but I've been buried beneath piles of History and Nursing books, not to mention the catheters and enema bags we've been using in skills lab. haha, ok, sorry.

But really, HAPPY B-DAY!!!!!

Paul said...

Thank you for the kind wishes. I'd rather be burdened with the items you mentioned than with my secured transactions reading. Ah well, to each a separate cross.

and to all you who wished me a happy birthday, when is yours?

Chopsticks on Oboe said...

Happy Sabbath almost brother!
This blog has many comments on it, so you need to write a new post, or get Petra to do it when she's over there.
Enjoy your time together! Believe me, I wish we could all be together, but I'm sure we will have plenty of good times in the future.

Lisa said...

Happy belated birthday to my cousin-law-to-be. I looked for the blue bag, but they were out! I will have to look for a suitable subsitute.

Paul said...

Happy Sabbath, Tee

i wish you were here, but I'm sure you'll have a fine Sabbath where you are:-)
I will create another post at some point...

Lisa,
No worries about the blue bag. anything equally goofy would do:-)